A class review written by Lee Sonogan
Originally published on entertainmentcultureonline.com
Interested in writing shorter fiction, I decided to give this class a try. Being in the industry for over 50 years and a teacher at Princeton for at least 40, her in-depth perspective is clearly wide and objective. Finishing up I now want to check out her emotionally charged stories and look into more of the recommended reads that she talks about. Referencing classical writers and giving original knowledge in establishing quality, her insights are very memorable.
Very beneficial in my potential You, Will, Have Style When You Write One Million Words: UNGROOVYGORDS Advanced Guide For Creative Writing book that is slowly coming together. Also very good at packing a lot of context in a limited amount of words. Sharing a similar passion for creating, I wish I can match her energy as my content grows equal in confidence.
Joyce Carol Oates Teaches the Art of the Short Story Videos:
- 107-01 – Introduction
- 107-02 – Principles of Writing Short Fiction
- 107-03 – Journals_ Observing the World
- 107-04 – Ideas_ Exploring Taboo and Darkness
- 107-05 – Structure and Form
- 107-06 – Ideas_ Writing the Familiar
- 107-07 – Form Study_ Miniature Narrative
- 107-08 – Form Study_ Short Monologue
- 107-09 – Story Study_ “Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been ”
- 107-10 – Reading and Studying Writing
- 107-11 – The Writer’s Workshop_ “Indian Camp”
- 107-12 – Revision Workshop_ “Labor Day”
- 107-13 – Revision Workshop_ “Near Death”
- 107-14 – Closing
Overall the only negative was that I wish it was longer in length because seemly she knew more. Consistent in keeping my blogging game at the same level, it’s all about owning the time and effort at stages of progress. Meaning workshopping ideas over and implementing editing techniques until it is something of worth. I highly recommend this class if you want a solid female interpretation from a long career or true authenticity from a person who knows what they are talking about.
When I saw the trailer for this class everything inside of me screamed to take it. I am so looking forward to seeing how my writing can improve both in habit and formation.– Jane R. (MasterClass Comment Section)