A quotes list created by Lee Sonogan
If you have seen the movie A Beautiful Mind, it is influenced by this real-life man. Nash equilibrium, Nash embedding theorem, Nash functions, Nash–Moser theorem, and more all features relating to Game Theory. There the cryptography/economics gets more complex in comparison to this list’s lighter tone. As he went insane during his lifetime, a lot of these relate math to mental illness as well.
- I can see there’s a connection between not following normal thinking and doing creative thinking. I wouldn’t have had good scientific ideas if I had thought more normally.
- Classes will dull your mind, destroy the potential for authentic creativity.
- As you will find in multivariable calculus, there is often a number of solutions for any given problem.
- Rationality of thought imposes a limit on a person’s concept of his relation to the cosmos.
- I would not dare to say that there is a direct relation between mathematics and madness, but there is no doubt that great mathematicians suffer from maniacal characteristics, delirium and symptoms of schizophrenia.
- Nowadays we can do computer experiments using Mathematica, and even solve a system of 42 equations. This offers another route to knowledge, rather than mere ideas.
- I cannot waste time in these classes and these books, memorizing the weak assumptions of lesser mortals.
- The ideas I had about supernatural beings came to me the same way that my mathematical ideas did. So I took them seriously.
- I don’t think exactly like a professional economist. I think about economics and economic ideas, but somewhat like an outsider.
- Perhaps it is good to have a beautiful mind, but an even greater gift is to discover a beautiful heart
- In a dream it’s typical not to be rational
- The artist’s main business is to train his eye to see, then to probe and then to train his hand to work in sympathy with his eye
- I never look for more than reality, the farming, the trees, the river. I suppose poetry gets in to reality.
- It’s only in the mysterious equation of love that any logical reasons can be found
- There is often a number of solutions for any given problem
Glad to put the man behind what I thought was fictional, again there is probably more things I have missed.