A quotes list created by Lee Sonogan
This Russian from the 18 hundreds was a writer, philosopher and a journalist. His fiction and non-fiction inspired many people outside that native country in the mainstream and many later ones at his homeland. Influencing a person like Jordan Peterson, the subjects of psychology and religion abstract or objective is explained by the guy. Pushing forward the emergence of existentialism, he is one of the great thinkers underrated in our time.
- Intelligence alone is not nearly enough when it comes to acting wisely.
- Besides, nowadays, almost all capable people are terribly afraid of being ridiculous, and are miserable because of it
- There is immeasurably more left inside than what comes out in words.
- But men love abstract reasoning and neat systematization so much that they think nothing of distorting the truth, closing their eyes and ears to contrary evidence to preserve their logical constructions.
- Let us not forget that the reasons for human actions are usually incalculably more complex and diverse than we tend to explain them later, and are seldom clearly manifest.
- My soul bleeds and the blood steadily, silently, disturbingly slowly, swallows me whole.
- Wealth is the number of things one can do without.
- To love is to suffer and there can be no love otherwise.
- The more incompetent one feels, the more eager he is to fight.
- Reality is infinitely diverse, compared with even the subtlest conclusions of abstract thought, and does not allow of clear-cut and sweeping distinctions. Reality resists classification
- I am strongly convinced that not only too much consciousness but even any consciousness at all is a sickness.
From a hundred rabbits you can’t make a horse.
- They tease me now, telling me it was only a dream. But does it matter whether it was a dream or reality, if the dream made known to me the truth?
- Paradise is hidden in each one of use, it is concealed within me too, right now, and if I wish, it will come for me in reality, tomorrow even, and for the rest of my life.
If you love all things, you will also attain the divine mystery that is in all things. For then your ability to perceive the truth will grow every day, and your mind will open itself to an all-embracing love
- The most offensive is not their lying—one can always forgive lying—lying is a delightful thing, for it leads to truth—what is offensive is that they lie and worship their own lying…
- Lack of originality, everywhere, all over the world, from time immemorial, has always been considered the foremost quality and the recommendation of the active, efficient and practical man.
- At first, art imitates life. Then life will imitate art.Then life will find its very existence from the arts.
- A novel is a work of poetry. In order to write it, one must have tranquility of spirit and of impression.
- Realists do not fear the results of their study.
- There is no subject so old that something new cannot be said about it.
More classic books translated into English I want to read! And surely there is plenty of more quotes that I am missing in this particular list. Fun fact! he started writing to start paying off his gambling debts and one of his novels was just written in 26 days.