A quotes list created by Lee Sonogan
Niccolò di Bernardo dei Machiavelli was a diplomat, philosopher and writer during the 15th century. The more and more quotes I do from people, the further the age it seems to go while still remaining relevant. Mixing classical realism and national interest, this particular individual influenced and influenced himself by so many names I am aware of. Paving the way for modern republic ideas amongst others, and the research I now know about him, I shall not forget this name of underrated documented history.
- It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both. Niccolo Machiavelli
- The more sand has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it. Niccolo Machiavelli
- There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things. Niccolo Machiavelli
- It is double pleasure to deceive the deceiver. Niccolo Machiavelli
- Severities should be dealt out all at once, so that their suddenness may give less offense; benefits ought to be handed ought drop by drop, so that they may be relished the more. Niccolo Machiavelli
- The main foundations of every state, new states as well as ancient or composite ones, are good laws and good arms you cannot have good laws without good arms, and where there are good arms, good laws inevitably follow. Niccolo Machiavelli
- Nature that framed us of four elements, warring within our breasts for regiment, doth teach us all to have aspiring minds. Niccolo Machiavelli
- No enterprise is more likely to succeed than one concealed from the enemy until it is ripe for execution. Niccolo Machiavelli
- The one who adapts his policy to the times prospers, and likewise that the one whose policy clashes with the demands of the times does not. Niccolo Machiavelli
- Benefits should be conferred gradually; and in that way they will taste better. Niccolo Machiavelli
- The promise given was a necessity of the past: the word broken is a necessity of the present. Niccolo Machiavelli
- A return to first principles in a republic is sometimes caused by the simple virtues of one man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Niccolo Machiavelli
- I’m not interested in preserving the status quo; I want to overthrow it. Niccolo Machiavelli
If you are just like me, the video placed below is very informative to understand his legacy. Regardless of the political turmoil, he lived in, he worked with Leonardo da Vinci. After 500 years, his considered the father of modern political science in some corners of the world. Finally, his most famous book ‘The Prince’ became banned by the Pope in that time period.