An article written by: Lee Sonogan
Immunity, long overdue
Contagion, I exhale you – Fear Inoculum, Tool
After 13 years we finally got the first new single from Tool. The Fear Inoculum song came out yesterday and I have now relistened to it over many times. Maybe before you read this you should go to the bottom of the page and just listen to it. And then return to reading this article. Earlier this year we were treated to the songs Descending and Invincible, right now we have the clearly polished track in all its glory.
To describe the ten-minute-long song it begins with electronic bubbling that draws you in slowly. With the first two minutes it builds up until the drums kick in and then Maynard James Keenan’s voice slips in to deliver the line, ‘Immunity, long overdue, contagion I exhale you’. These words symbolise vaccinating yourself against fear. Other words in the lyrics have references to breath, human life and also connectivity.
Comments on the Fear Inoculum Video – Tool’s YouTube Channel:
- Wait hold up……I’m alive during a new tool release? 0__0 – 11Ender11
- Never thought I’d see the day where a Tool song was TRENDING on YouTube. This is something special. – Noah Krupa
- 10 year album wait that feels like 20 for a 10 minute song that feels like 5 minutes – blitzkrug
- On repeat for 5 hours and still replaying. So freaking wonderful – Trenton Kyle
- I’m 38 years old. But today I’ve been behaving like a 17 year old. All giddy at work, greeting my co-workers in the morning, with a general positive outlook on life, and giggling every time I thought about this song coming out. Wow, what a song! When I just heard it now…. I…… I came too fast…. and now I’m sitting here… like an unsecure post-coitus schoolgirl, thinking: “When will I get to hear more?”….. And now to complete it all, I’m commenting on it on youtube…. #feelsgreatman #1980 #bliss – Tony
- I’ve been listening to this song for two and a half hours, and I don’t intend to stop it so soon – Veronica Martucci
- This song is like a little journey through Tool’s catalog. -Arum Narayanan
- Thoundsand more found in the comment section of Tool’s YouTube Channel.
At the end of the song the last minute of the song is the most intense. If you have listened to a lot of Tool like me this song will have a lot of familiar sounds. It sounds like a combination of all their work while being its own thing. With already over 2 million views and trending on YouTube at this moment of posting this article when I look at it again tomorrow I am confident it will be even more. Because this song has a lot of mainstream appeal to it that can reach a causal audience.
now, lift away
I see you runnin’
Deceiver chased away
A long time comin‘ – Fear Inoculum, Tool