A list created by: Lee Sonogan
Doug Stanhope is not for everyone because he is opinionated, vulgar and brutally honest. More than just a stand-up comedian since 1990, he is also a actor, podcast host and a political activist. Watching the comedy special named Beer Hall Putsch recently it is clear that he is a comedy legend.
- “Whatever your problems are, keep in mind that you die at the end of all this. Lets get out there, brutalize ourselves and laugh at those certain pricks who take it seriously, like there is any way to win in all this.” – Doug Stanhope
- “Race, Religion, Ethnic Pride, Nationalism does nothing but teach you how to hate people you have never met.” – Doug Stanhope
- “If you really believe death leads to eternal bliss then why are you wearing a seatbelt?” – Doug Stanhope
- “There’s only two types of people who are against drugs: the people who have never done drugs and the people who really sucked at doing drugs.” – Doug Stanhope
- “Shouldn’t the long-term goal of any society be complete unemployment?” – Doug Stanhope
- “Tradition and heritage are all dead people’s baggage, stop carrying it. Move forward.” – Doug Stanhope
- “Controversial issues are always more interesting but I don’t create material about a subject I have opinion on just because it’s controversial. The most fun is having a point of view that the audience is generally against and presenting an argument that challenges their thinking.” – Doug Stanhope
- “Mutations are exciting, there aren’t nearly enough of them.” – Doug Stanhope
- “People wrestle alligators but not once has someone done it without an audience.” – Doug Stanhope
- “Everybody’s angry. They’ve got nothing to be angry at, so they’re angry about nothing.” – Doug Stanhope
- “Comedy is like music; it builds on itself. Once someone comes up with a theory or a different way of doing things, people start to mimic it on some level. That’s why you go back to the guys you loved in the 80s… and it just seems tired now, because it was all foundation.” – Doug Stanhope
I first heard of Doug Stanhope from his appearances on the Joe Rogan Experience. Than one of my friends who is a big fan of Doug highly recommended checking out his other stuff. I was not disappointed, and I intend to check out more than just clips of his podcast. In my new appreciation of this comedian I am considering buying one of his books.