A list created by Lee Sonogan
With the recent death of Stan Lee I have decided to make a compilation of his best quotes. American comic book writer, former editor-in-chief of Marvel Comics and leader of the expansion of a small publishing house to a large multimedia corporation. He is also known for creating some of the best comic book characters of all time. This includes Spider-Man, The Hulk, Ironman, Daredevil, the Fantastic Four, X-Men and such more to list here.
- “With great power comes great responsibilty.” –
- “Comics are stories; they’re like novels or anything else. So the first thing you have to do is become a good storyteller.” – Stan Lee
- “I wanted them to be diverse. The whole underlying principle of the X-Men was to try to be an anti-bigotry story to show there’s good in every person.” – Stan Lee, Comicbook.com.
- “The more you read, the better you’re going to become as a storyteller.” – Stan Lee, IGN.com.
- Comic books themselves are getting more literate. And there are people who are screenwriters and television writers and novelists who are writing for the comics, for some reason, they love doing it and some of the art work in the comics, I mean it rivals anything you’ll see hanging on the walls of museums, they’re illustrations more than drawings and all the people are discovering this and they’re turning on to it. – Stan Lee
- “I don’t have inspiration. I only have ideas. Ideas and deadlines.” – Stan Lee
- “Another definition of a hero is someone who is concerned about other people’s well-being, and will go out of his or her way to help them — even if there is no chance of a reward. That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero.” – (Stan Lee, CyberSpacers.com)
- “I try not to do anything that’s too close to what I’ve done before. And the nice thing is we have a big universe here. It’s filled with new ideas. All you have to do is grab them.” – (Stan Lee, Brandweek)
- “If Shakespeare and Michelangelo were alive today, and if they decided to collaborate on a comic, Shakespeare would write the script and Michelangelo would draw it. How could anybody say that this wouldn’t be as worthwhile an artform as anything on earth?” – Stan Lee
- “I used to be embarrassed because I was just a comic-book writer while other people were building bridges or going on to medical careers. And then I began to realize: entertainment is one of the most important things in people’s lives. Without it they might go off the deep end. I feel that if you’re able to entertain people, you’re doing a good thing.” – Stan Lee, The Washington Post
- “I couldn’t say no when I received that offer [to re-invent the DC characters]… How can any writer say no to the opportunity of redoing every one of DC’s top superheroes?” – Stan Lee
- “What did Doctor Doom really want? He wanted to rule the world. Now, think about this. You could walk across the street against a traffic light and get a summons for jaywalking, but you could walk up to a police officer and say “I want to rule the world,” and there’s nothing he can do about it, that is not a crime. Anybody can want to rule the world. So, even though he was the Fantastic Four’s greatest menace, in my mind, he was never a criminal!” – Stan Lee
- “It’s just, it’s fun to stay in the game.” – Stan Lee
- “I think it’s just the challenge. It’s not that all my life I’ve wanted to do characters [in Marvel], because I never particularly thought about it, but the challenge of saying, “How could they be done differently that may be more absorbing or more effective?” – Stan Lee
- “Technology isn’t a villain. Technology should help, but if you just use the technology for the sake of technology, then you’re cheating your audience. You’re not giving them the best story and the best direction and so forth.” – Stan Lee
- “I’m happiest when I’m working. If I’m not working, I feel like I’m wasting my time.” – Stan Lee
- “Life is never completely without its challenges.” – Stan Lee, Playboy
“Luck’s a revolving door, you just need to know when it’s your time to walk through.” –
“There is only one who is all powerful, and his greatest weapon is love.” –
- “Face front, true believers!” –
- “If you are interested in what you do, that keeps you going!” – Stan Lee
“Your humans slaughter each other because of the color of your skin, or your faith or your plitics — or for no reason at all — too many of you hate as easily as you draw breath. – Magneto,” –
- “HULK SMASH!” –
Influences and Lee’s favourite authors include Stephen King, H. G. Wells, Mark Twain, Arthur Conan Doyle, William Shakespeare, Charles Dickens, and Harlan Ellison. Appearing in every Marvel film that has a character he created in it, he has also made cameos on television including the The Bang Theory. A pioneer in his craft and his ideas will live on forever with the comics book world.