A list written by: Lee Sonogan
“Don’t think of your website as a self-promotion machine, think of it as a self-invention machine.”
― Austin Kleon, Show Your Work!: 10 Ways to Share Your Creativity and Get Discovered
I have touched on advertising and marketing before in past posts. Sharing and promoting is the same thing. It is used to inform or persuade target audiences of the value of a product, service, brand or issue. To get your content out there you must increase awareness, create interest, brand loyalty, generate sales and much more. The following list will help you attract more traffic, stats, a following and much more. Ideas for the list can be used for projects other than writing in some cases.
Free methods of promotions for writing:
- First and foremost is you free blog. Start by using a free blog
- Guest posts on blog
- Make it easy to find your previous work
- Connect with your readers and always respond to a comment
- Comment on other blogs
- Gather interesting and original quotes for relevent content
- Add references and expert sources to relevent content
- Get other writers to comment on your work
- Add a link to your newest content from your most popular written content
- Create a contest
- If your book is free, make sure everyone knows about it
- Create promotion videos
- Turn content into videos
- Publish a lot or publish a bigger writing project to promote your self
- Press releases
- Social media (Facebook, Stumble upon, , Twitter, Tumblr, Google account, YouTube, QQ, Instagram and so many other social media accounts you could make to promote your written content)
- Like for likes, reviews for reviews, share for shares, comment for comment, join for join
- Use what you can of these reccomended websites (Goodreads, Quora, SlideShare, Slideshow.com, Photosnack, Blog Engage, BizSugar, Tiberr, TribePro, Flipboard, Google my Business, Yelp, Foursquare, Pinterest, Snapchat, Digg, Free press release, Flickr, So much more free websites out there with different extra ways to promote your written content)
- Message boards and forum sites (Reddit, 4Chan, Craigslist, Gaia Online, and so much forum websites that could help you promote your written content)
- Make content that has good SEO words to be found more on search engines
- Gather an email list and send group emails with promotion information or collaboration enquiry.
- Turn content in to PDF files and upload them to these websites (Docstoc, Scribd, DocDroid and I am sure there is many more similar websites to upload your written content)
- Email directly to influencers or lead writer on the website Linkedin
- Cross promotions with writers
- Market the total package
- Create your self biography
- Use your family, friends, and work colleagues
- Do public speaking anywhere
- Go to conferences/workshops
- Appear at related events
- Use book clubs
- Business cards
- Create some merchandise
- Donate your work in written form
- Create a podcast
- Create a pop up shop
- Be generous with your thanks
- Throw a launch party
- So much more little to big ways to promote/share your content!
Paid methods of promotions for writing:
- Upgrade blog to a bigger plan. Getting a domain name is important. Getting highest blog plan to make money once traffic is good.
- Use affiliate programs to make money and allow other people to promote your products for a commission
- Invest in good cover art
- Make a sound track to your relevent written content
- Facebook ads and promoting services. Facebook groups and pages have many paid services in promotions of writing
- Use Stumble Upon Paid service
- Use Google AdWords or Bing ads
- Use these recommend websites to find services that do advertising and promotion (Fiverr, Outbrain, Linkden ads, Twitter ads, Reddit ads, Media.net, Infolinks, Adbuff, blog ads, hundred more with a google search)
- So much more ways to pay for promoting/sharing your content!
I hoped this help some people who need more people to see their content. Getting the stats is difficult. Time and effort is necessary to get a decent daily amount of views and visitors. Or just readers. Getting people to stick around after promoting is what you have to do to be successful as a writer. Your content should be made to gain views to some extent.
“In the present day corporate world, it is utmost important to build a personal brand for yourself and anyone who knows the basics of brand-building would know that it is impossible without proper self promotion!”
― Abhishek Ratna, No Parking. No Halt. Success Non Stop!
Here is some links to my book for sale: