A video game review by: Lee Sonogan
(2017) Racing, Action
A great expansion to a version of the game on the Wii U. Developed by Nintendo, on the Nintendo Switch version, it offers a lot more. Double weapons, 2 players with the joycons, 200cc and more. Its fast pace and what you would want in a Mario kart game. I have not bought a racing video game in a long time. Not since the Nintendo 64 days. Liking the original Mario karts on the Snes and N64, I had to try it out on the Nintendo switch.
One of the biggest changes made between the port and the original release of Mario Kart 8 is the revamped Battle Mode. Unlike Mario Kart games before this, each player starts with five balloons, as opposed to the former amount of three. The different battle mode types are Balloon battle, Renegade round-up, Bob-omb Blast, Coint runner ad Shine thief
Excluding character variants, there are a total of 42 playable characters in this game, the largest number of playable characters thus far in the series. Nintendo has put in many newer non-Mario characters you can drive as.
- The game now renders in native 1080p when docked in TV mode, instead of the 720p in the original Wii U version—however, it will still render in 720p on Tabletop or Handheld mode.
- When playing as Team VS. Races or Battles, the flags of the corresponding colors are added behind the vehicle.
- When using the rearview mirror, the characters will move their eyes a little to the left to look back, like how they do in Mario Kart Wii; however, their eyes will stay looking to the left as long as the rearview is active, rather than switching back after a second like in Mario Kart Wii.
- If the Smart Steering mode is on, the player’s vehicle will have an antenna sticking out its rear end. The antenna blinks and will tilt and bend when Smart Steering is activated.
- Motion blur when boosting is present in LAN and online mode. In earlier builds, it was also present in split screen
I am still a noob in this game. Overall, so far it satisfies me more each time I play it. Learning each map is a new challenge. It a short amount of time you will understand how to do sick drifts around corners and shoot weapons at the same time. It is a fast pace, random racing game that brings the nostalgia of Nintendo to your mind. I recommend this game to all Nintendo fans and people who need a new multiplayer game to play.